Saturday, January 19, 2008

Coconut, ah how we love thee

So I'm going to make dinner for a friend (and might take over her kitchen because it's a Food Network type kitchen with two sinks and actual lighting that makes sense) and I know she wanted coconut scallops but I can't do it. I have to try out my Spanish paprika instead (on scallops) so here's what she's missing. And what's better? She loves prawns anyway (they're kryptonite to me) and the recipe calls for prawns.

Coconut basil prawns
1/4-1/3 c coconut milk
4 T minced basil
1 T maple syrup
1t sugar
S&P
1 lb large prawns, peeled and deveined (blech!)
1 T coconut oil (look for this at Met market or PCC. Friends swear by this as the best oil ever)
3 cloves garlic
1 Jalapeno pepper, minced
1 T ginger, minced.

Mix coconut milk, basil and syrup in med bowl

Sprinkle sugar, S&P over prawns. Heat oil in a wok or skillet over med heat. When hot, add garlic, Japapeno and ginger. Cook for about 4 min until the prawns are pink.

Add prawns to coconut milk mixture, tossing to combine. Serve warm or chill and serve within 8 hrs.

So we had friends make this on new years with scallops and it was amazing. Photos were taken but with an iPhone and the iPhone is away for the weekend, sadly. Will have to post photos as this was amazing. However, still in love with my Spanish paprika so Friend will have to make this on her own.

No comments: