Sunday, October 28, 2007

Palm Springs or hell?

I just got back from a week in Palm Springs for work and I'm left pondering whether Palm Springs is the closest to hell I will ever get. It's hot, one giant golf course, and filled with blue-haired people driving golf carts on the road. I feel like several liters of water was just taken out of my system while I was down there and used to water the putting greens. Miserable. More than that, the food was shit. The veggie options were salad and cheesy carbs, which is so unnecessary. I was so hungry when I got back yesterday, I called my husband and made him bring a bag of fruit and veggies to the airport. Slightly pathetic, I know. But I feel better.

What does one make after going to hell? I made fish packets, which okay - not veggie but perfect for Fishatarians like me and my better half. They're so easy and I love them b/c you can make them during the day, throw the packets in the fridge, and then pop them in the oven before you cook. And, dear NC friend, they are as cheap as the fish you include in the packet. Here's the basics (serves 2):
Take 6oz fillets of fish - I use red snapper or cod or whatever white fish is on sale. I think I've used grouper and orange roughy as well.
1 tomato, sliced
1 zucchini, sliced
4 squares of tin foil (heavy duty if you have it)
white wine
garlic
butter
anchovies (I love them but most don't so you can leave them out)
herbs
S&P

So first off, clean off the fish and lay out 2 squares of foil. Take a couple T of butter and a crushed clove of garlic (and anchovies) and mash it together in a lovely butter paste. Then take your sliced veg and put them in two rows (I usually do 4 zucchini across, then 3 slices of tom under it, then 4 more zucchini under that). Throw your herbs (I use basil, oregano, parsley, or rosemary) down and dabs of the good butter. Top with your fish and then a good glug of the wine. Seal the whole thing up by placing the other piece of foil on top and seal all around (roll up kind of like when you seal a double pie crust). Throw the packets on a tray and refrigerate until ready to use.
When you're ready, throw these in a 450 oven for 20-30 minutes. Cut them open and serve everything in a pasta or shallow soup bowl, adding some broth b/c you're going to want to get a good crusty bread to sop up the wine sauce. Spritz with a little lemon and you're good to go. It's fast, healthy and helps to combat the after effects of a sales conference in hell where the only available hydration comes from Corona.
Let's just say I'm beyond happy to be back home.

No comments: