Last night was the perfect night for soup. It was windy and the rain was coming down in sheets. I had a loaf of olive bread and some Canadian cheddar (who knew that our friends in the north did such lovely cheese?) and a 28 oz can of whole tomatoes. I followed a Moosewood recipe and made the best tomato soup, and it was so dang easy.
You need:
1 28 oz can of plum tomatoes (I pureed this first using my immersion blender, but I guess you could use a can of pureed toms)
1 onion (chopped)
rosemary
basil
2 cloves garlic (crushed or chopped)
a few T sherry or white wine
a T of honey
and cream cheese - about 4 oz
You simple saute the onion, rosemary, basil (about 1 t each) and the garlic until it's soft (around 10 minutes on med heat if you're using my crappy electric range). Then you add the wine, honey, and tomatoes and simmer for about 15 minutes. You just cut in the cream cheese and stir it and the whole thing gets soft and creamy. The only extra thing I'd do is use the immersion blender before the cheese and make sure the onions and other bits are nicely pureed.
Today I'm making cookies (I think) and doing nothing more than reading a book and loafing around the cold house. We have beer brewing on the front steps and it's nasty outside so the big outing might be to rake leaves...if I feel like it. I love fall simply for these rainy, nasty days.
2 comments:
I am proud to say (at least I think) I am one of the two veggie recipe friends to prompt the newly blogging Alison! I finally got to go through the current blogs and also, I encourage Al to get that stew recipe she sent me up there. We plan on trying it next week and hubby is most excited. As a newbie to the "I am a veggie" world, your tips on buying things cheap are always helpful, Al...keep 'em up! I'll pass along anything worthy that I find! Viva La Veggies!
Love and miss you all ( and hi to my new veggie friends),
Lisa
Post a Comment