Monday, November 5, 2007

Lazy lazy me



So I went to a PCC cooking class with my mother last week. It was a pretty basic course--roasted veg salad, pumpkin curry soup, and an apple/pear crisp. It was interesting because I learned that most people don't know how to cut an onion, and also good because of the squash peel thing. You can eat them. Granted, this was after roasting or cooking them in a giant pot for the soup, but it's good for you. Now I normally don't peel my carrots or potatoes or anything that seems okay to not peel because I'm lazy. But pumpkin and butternut squash? Turns out it's good for you. Go figure.

Anyway, the salad was easy-peasy. You just throw beets and yams and onions and squash in chunks into the oven with some olive oil and spices and then cool and throw on top of greens tossed with balsamic vinegar and chopped walnuts. I'd change it around a bit, maybe toast the nuts first and add cheese - a nice blue or goat - and I'm thinking of adding a few dried cherries for Thanksgiving salad. But it was tasty and easy.

I'll post the soup later. It was tasty, but most of the ladies (and I mean ladies, but they definitely "lunched") thought it wasn't salty enough. meh.

No comments: