Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Oh sweet, flat Madison

I spent a long weekend in Madison visiting a friend from graduate school and her husband. They moved back to Madison after 8 years in NYC (well, Yonkers) and I can see why. Aside from Madison being very flat and in the middle of nowhere, it's quite pretty. There are a billion lakes with names like Winonarama and Mingraeta and most people live in huge houses with views of these lakes. They all have lovely wrap-around porches, fluffy dogs, and giant, flowering trees.

We got into Madison late on Thursday and my friend took us to a great restaurant called The Greenbush. It served great pizzas, beers, and salads. We caught up with our friends and then went for dessert -- frozen custard. It also seems that everyone in Madison lives about 2 blocks from a wonderful frozen custard stand. Because we were baffled by the choices, my friend ordered for us. I got a caramel cashew sundae and Mr Ferguson ordered something called a Muddy Monkey. I totally won and learned that salted nuts always make the sundae.

No comments: